Birth Certificate: Information about the birth of the child goes from the hospital to the Corporation/panchayat office that in turn records the birth of the child and issues a birth certificate.
If the child is born at home, then the head of the family or any family member is obligated to inform the birth of the child to the Corporation /panchayat office that in turn records the birth of the child and issues a birth certificate.
Ensure to give the following details correctly:
- Name of the father (As per official records)
- Name of the Mother (As per official records)
- Name of the Child (Decide the official name you want your child to be known as and give the name. If you can expand the initial and give, it would be excellent)
- School and Academic Records: Tenth and Twelfth marks card are most important base documents for an individual.
- Name in the birth certificate and in school and academic records should be one and the same.
- Ensure that the child’s name is spelled properly, especially in the application form at the time of admission and while filling up OMR sheet/examination form.
- Should the marks card of the tenth or twelfth standard have any error in personal details, please bring it to the notice of School /Board authorities and have the same rectified at the earliest legally.
- Do not laminate educational records (marks card, study certificate, character certificate etc.…) Document loses its originality and makes the same legally invalid.
Suggestion: Please do not change the birth name to avoid confusion that might erupt to establish your identity.
In the event, one decides to change the name at any point of time ensure to follow the legal procedure with respect to name change such that the old name can be linked to the new name. Also, ensure to incorporate the changed name in official records. Should one decide to change the name post completion of education, change of name in education records is not possible. change such that the old name can be linked to the new name. Also, ensure to incorporate the changed name in official records. Should one decide to change the name post completion of education, change of name in education records is not possible. The new name should be linked to the old name by way of legal compliance.
Advantages of recording information at birth correctly and retaining the birth name.
- Easy to establish identity.
- Avoids legal hurdles to rectify the errors in birth and educational records.
- Passport office insists that name in the birth certificate and academic records match.
- It will help establish identity, should one decide to travel abroad for further education and decide to have vocation overseas.
- The topic on Birth Certificate was requested by Mrs. Lakshmi Ramkumar.
- Look out for Documentation involved in Marriage and advantages of marriage registration in the next edition.